Friday, March 5, 2010

Wear Your Helmet

Delphi was standing in cross-ties being groomed when I got the call that Courtney King Dye had been hurt in a horse accident. My barn buddy and fellow equestrian called to tell me the news, but more than that, as my friend she urged me to wear my helmet every time I ride. Yes, I wear my helmet when I ride a new horse, or when I'm riding a green horse, or when jumping, or when away at unfamiliar surroundings. But I confess I have gotten into a complaisance with my own mare that I know and trust, and have been in the habit of wearing only a ball cap (for sun protection of all things). When my good friend heard the news about Courtney's skull fracture, she said she thought about me and wanted to insist, cajole, urge, beg or otherwise encourage me to wear my helmet consistently.
Point taken. I put my helmet on even as I was hanging up my phone, and wore it today on my trustworthy mare during our routine riding lesson. Ever after, I will continue to put my helmet on as part of my uniform; just as I wouldn't dream of riding without boots, breeches, and gloves, my helmet will now always be de rigueur.
Thank you, Ceil, again, for your sage and timely advice. With the rest of our dressage community, I am praying for a complete and strong recovery for Courtney.

In light of this accident, Grand Prix dressage rider Heather Blitz has launched a campaign to raise awareness of the importance of helmet use for riders of all disciplines. Read more on Blitz's website.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree-- helmets are always part of my riding gear. I don't get on a horse without one. In fact mine is so big it probably has enough gravitational pull to orbit some planets, but I am okay with that.

Thank you for reminding everyone how important it is to wear a helmet.

Crystal

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I called, and I'm glad you answered.

As a wise person said, if you think your hairstyle is more important than your brain, it probably is.

---Ceil

Marlene Caldwell said...

Sage advice!! Also best to replace the helmet every few years.