Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Of spurs and self carriage

My spurs are now part of my uniform while riding Delphi. In our lesson this week we are still working on flexion and counter-flexion at canter. When I make a deliberate GIVE (breathe, two, three, four) after a flexion, it allows Delphi to do one of two things: 1) completely fall apart onto the forehand (which means she wasn't in a good place to begin with) or 2) travel through in self carriage. Either way I must ALLOW Delphi to find her own self carriage or reveal inadequacies that can then be addressed in the next cycle of flexion-and-soften. With spurs on I do find it easier to nudge up the occasional little extra energy and when I want the spurs, they're there.
I'm currently using these stainless steel rollerball spurs with Delphi.

No comments: