Monday, August 16, 2021

Change of Tack

Both literally and figuratively.  For the moment I’ve hung up my saddle and bridle in the tack room, and have pivoted the spotlight to my other calling, canine cognition and positive reinforcement training, and have increased my dedication to learning dog agility. Building on a background working with herding breeds and Border collies in particular, I want to journal my most recent odyssey with a Border collie named Jackie.

Jackie has entered our collective journey as a rehabilitated stray rescue.  Found roaming the rural roads in Mississippi, the awesome folks of Kilgore Aussie Rescue in Louisiana plucked her into their care, and from there she was transported via the army of rescue network into the care of Border Collie Save and Rescue, whose wonderful volunteers are headquartered here in the Fort Worth, Texas area.  In future I’ll say more about the brilliant people at Border Collie Save and Rescue; for now let me just say how truly special the folks are who work in rescue.

In preparation to adopt a third rescue dog, we’ve done all the things: installed a third crate and comfy bed in the bedroom, acquired an appropriate lead and collar complete with ID tag, brought out the exercise pens and puppy gates to control where and how the new pup can access parts of our house, and added an additional water bowl or two.  I prepared several kongs stuffed with tasty things like beef liver or lamb lung, topped with a dollop of peanut butter so she will enjoy crate time and learn to settle.  I ordered long lasting chews (my dogs’ favorites at the moment are the Benebone wishbone and the Petstages deerhorn antler alternative). I laid in an extra supply of small, easy-to-eat-in-one-bite interesting and multi-value training treats including: freeze dried beef liver, lamb lung, Natural Balance mini rewards, Zuke’s mini naturals, and my go-to training favorite lamb loaf.  And (it feels like cheating but dogs love it) lots of Hebrew national hotdogs cut up into tiny medallions.

I filled out the adoption application on the Border Collie Save and Rescue website, and was thrilled when they called a few weeks later to complete the interview and schedule the home inspection.  We were considered approved to adopt! Searching for an excellent candidate for agility, and not too young nor too old, Jackie was at the top of our list and I was excited when her foster mom reached out to meet. 

Following are the chronicles of adopting a high herding drive young Border collie, from ground zero forward into our collective adventure.  Meet Jackie, a three year old female Border collie, and our newest family member!

Jackie while still in the early stages of rescue intake at Border Collie Save and Rescue



No comments: