Thursday, August 19, 2021

The Many Benefits of Adopting

There are a myriad of ways to acquire a new dog, but the method that has proven successful for me time and again is adopting from a breed rescue like All Border Collie RescueBorder Collie Save and Rescue, Cocker Spaniel Rescue of East Texas or other breed or type rescues.

In addition to knowing I am contributing in some small way to the decrease in suffering and overpopulation by supporting a rescue, there are additional tangible benefits.  Jackie came onto my radar from a foster where she lived in a family home and was acclimated to being around dogs of all sizes, energy levels, and stages of life.  Much had already been discovered about her temperament, and this was communicated clearly to me by her foster mom.  Knowing a fair bit about a dog’s temperament, drive, and energy level helped guide my decision-making process in choosing the best fit for my next dog. 

While considering my ideal candidate, I wanted an adult dog that was still young enough to have lots of time on the clock to learn sports and obedience, but I knew I did not want a puppy.  I wanted a dog with high drive— but I knew to be careful what I wished for as I first and foremost wanted a dog with the (relatively lower for a Border collie) energy level to be a family pet and get along well with my two older dogs.  My preference was a female, for a number of reasons including I felt the getting-to-know-you period would be smoother since I already have two males. I preferred, if possible, to find a dog that if she had already been de-sexed, that she was spayed after becoming an adult or even well into her adult life.  I wanted a smallish-sized Border collie in the 30-something pound range.  Having a dog that was crate trained, potty trained, leash trained, reliable around horses, and already educated in basic commands was a consideration. While temperament, drive, and energy ALWAYS eclipse looks, I admit I prefer the classic black and white coat of the quintessential Border collie. 

So that’s a demanding list!  Of course I was open minded and ready to be flexible in my wishlist.  The thing is, with a great breed rescue like Border Collie Save and Rescue, they worked with me to find the perfect match, and were deliberate in sharing all of each potential dog’s history: the good, the bad, or the ugly.  

Jackie ticked every item on that exacting wishlist, and then some!  Jackie’s foster family did an outstanding job rehabilitating her from a rural, shy stray into a happy-go-lucky family pet with the boldness yet patience to coexist with other pets and animals, large and small, young and old. With her foster family Jackie learned all the solid foundations to life as a well adjusted house pet. This put Jackie, and indeed me, in a position of strength to begin our relationship together.


Jackie, well prepared to take on her next adventures thanks to the excellence of her wonderful foster family

Pearls:

  • Adopting a dog from a breed rescue is an excellent way to get a head start with a new dog
  • Breed rescues allow you to be as specific as needed, and provide all the background they know about each individual dog
  • Being in a foster family can give a dog a better chance to find the right home, thereby decreasing the likelihood it will end up back in a shelter
  • Fosters, and all rescue volunteers, are special people and are owed a debt of gratitude!
Jackie’s foster mom and dad did a phenomenal job



No comments: