Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Value Reinforcers and Dispensers

In the ongoing saga to find a high value reinforcer for Jackie, I’ve experimented with cutting mild cheddar cheese into small cubes just a bit smaller than a pencil eraser. So far this has proven successful and seems very motivating to Jackie.  

Gunner, and especially Rosco, are very food motivated and will work for store-bought treats, or any ol’ food, even cut up carrots for Rosco! Jackie is definitely food motivated, but seems to have a more discriminating palate. 

Having a variety of treats of differing value has proven successful, so that the reinforcement stays interesting and variable, and any single reinforcer doesn’t lose its value. In order to more conveniently store and separate out the different treats, I use differing training bags.  Currently two of my favorites are this well-used green treat pouch I’ve had for seemingly ever (apologies to small businesses everywhere but I got it at a big-box chain pet store years ago).  It has a waistband/belt clip that I find easy to hang at my side and a drawstring closure with an inner lining that washes easily:

And I just got this blue (it comes in seven additional colors too which I love) Audwud silicone treat pouch; it’s good for using with perishable treats like chicken or cheese because I can put it in the dishwasher and it has a magnetic clasp so I can store the treats sealed in the fridge.  Like my older green pouch it has a plastic waistband clip. I like how it works in action so I got one in bright pink as well:


I read about folks drying cheese treats on the kitchen counter in places other than Texas.  With our humidity it would mean turning on the oven so I’m just using it squishy— it’s been fine using at room temperature without any additional drying on my part:


Pearls:
  • A variety of training treats keeps food reinforcement variable and interesting, and prevents any one favorite treat from losing its value
  • Using a treat pouch that hangs on the side at my waist works well for me, and I like the silicone one I just discovered
  • Cheddar cheese is a new reinforcer for me, but Jackie seems to like it


No comments: