Friday, January 7, 2011

Boot Camp Day 4




The lesson today on Gryphon was a breathtaking experience of *wow* medium trots, fairly good passage steps, exhilarating canter, and uphill shoulder in. By far the medium trot was the most spectacular; it was so much that the first attempt I wasn't ready and it actually took my breath away. Once I knew what to expect, I was able to sit for that amazing Trakehner extension that Gryphon does so well and for which his breed is becoming so famous.
The premium for me is allowing the horse to travel in self carriage: yes, I must half halt, but this should always be with my legs, seat and back while pushing my elbows down (think armpit muscles) but never pulling on the rein. Gryphon is quite capable and taught me how to allow a horse to travel in self carriage by giving half halts then keeping the reins soft, even "fluffy."
To improve, I should bring my lower leg back with a softer knee, allow the reins to be soft to promote self carriage, and I still could have more impulsion, forward, or just more GO in the lateral work. It was a good reminder of where I need to be to get Delphi to the next level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You both look beautiful!

Crystal