Monday, July 23, 2012

Peace

Mondays are becoming my favorite days of the week.  Typically the day off for horses and horse-folk, Monday 'round the barn is very peaceful.  No trainers, almost never any boarders, only Rijkens' quiet grooms are around and we have the whole place to ourselves and we can move at whatever pace we choose.  Today I rode Rijkens in the outdoor dressage court during an unexpected but luxurious overcast and breezy several minutes of cool-ish weather before it rained.  Among other things we schooled canter transitions, counter canter, and collected and extended canter.  Once we established maintaining the same canter lead, we progressed to changes of lead on straight lines.  I did not count strides as in the tempis, rather changed leads three times on each straight line when the canter was sufficiently balanced, uphill, and collected.  Rijkens and I really communicated today and were able to achieve harmony.
 
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."  John 14:27

No comments: